Jul 20, 2024  
2020-2021 University Catalog 
2020-2021 University Catalog [Archived Catalogue]

Education Records, Data & Privacy


Act 48

University of the Arts is an approved PA Department of Education Act 48 provider. PA certified educators must complete six graduate credits or 180 hours of continuing education activities every five years. One college credit is equivalent to 30 continuing education hours. Non-credit activities are reported as the activities’ contact hours. Pennsylvania teachers must submit a request to the Office of the Registrar to report Act 48 hours.


Address Types

Students can maintain the following address types :

  • Permanent: A student’s permanent address is where they live when they are not enrolled in classes. For some students it may also be where they live when they are enrolled in classes. All students are required to maintain a permanent address.
  • Residential: A student’s residential address is where they live when they are enrolled in classes. Students are required to maintain a residential address only if it is different from their permanent address; students living in University residence halls are not required to maintain a residential address. This is particularly important for students who are enrolled exclusively in distance education, for whom the University must maintain records of the states in which students are located in order to meet state authorization requirements. 

Address Confirmation Requirement

Students are required to confirm the accuracy of addresses listed in the Student Self-Service User Profile once every 180 days. After 180 days a registration hold  is placed on the student’s account. This hold  prevents the student from any registration activity (adding or dropping) until address data has been confirmed.

Students who are required to confirm their address will receive a notification after logging into Student Self-Service.

To Confirm Addresses

  1. Log in to Student Self-Service
  2. Click User Profile from the menu that appears when clicking your user name at the top.
  3. Click the Confirm button located in the blue information bar in the Address section.

Registration holds are immediately ended after confirming an address. For assistance contact the Office of the Registrar at registrar@uarts.edu.

To Add or Change an Address

  1. Log in to Student Self-Service
  2. Click User Profile from the menu that appears when clicking your user name at the top.
  3. Click Request New Address and enter the requested information, including the address type; if an address of the correct type is already on file click the edit button.
Policy: Change of Address Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar Policy Last Revised: May 2021

Change of Legal Name

Current and former students may change their legal name by submitting a request and providing required documentation as follows:

  • Legal name change: court order, marriage certificate, divorce decree, or social security card (ssn on card must match the ssn on file). International students can provide a passport.
  • Legal name spelling correction: birth certificate, drivers license, passport, permanent resident card, or state issued id.

To request a change of legal name

  1. Submit the Change of Legal Name form located on the Forms and Requests page in the portal, attaching required documentation.
Policy: Change of Name Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar  Policy Last Revised: May 2021

Chosen Name

The University recognizes that some students choose to to use a name other than their legal name to identify themselves. The University acknowledges that a chosen name can and should be used where possible. Any student may declare a chosen name, so long as it is not for the purpose of misrepresentation. 

When students declare a chosen name, their legal name will remain in University systems and on most internal reports. Chosen names are limited to alphabetical characters, a hyphen (-), and a space.

Chosen names will not be used in cases where the legal name is required, including, but not limited to, enrollment verifications, financial aid documents, medical records, paychecks, payroll records, and transcripts. Students who wish to change their legal name must follow the Change of Legal Name policy, submitting official documentation directly to the Office of the Registrar.

When a chosen name is declared

  • A new network id is created. This includes a new username and email address. The new email address will have access to emails sent and received from the legal name network ID.
  • The learning management system (Canvas) is updated. 
  • Students are issued an ID card bearing their chosen name. One replacement student ID will be produced at no charge for students who declare a chosen name.
  • Student Self Service is updated.
  • University Library systems are updated.
  • It is used as the student’s commencement name  and published in the commencement program. Students who do not want their chosen name included in the commencement program can either remove the name prior to the commencement program deadline published on the academic calendar  or contact registrar@uarts.edu. 


While it is recommended that students have their legal name printed on their diploma, chosen names are permitted as well. Students submit their diploma name  to the Office of the Registrar when they apply to graduate 

Consider the following when deciding upon a diploma name:

  • Apostille: Diploma apostille can only be provided for diplomas which include a student’s full legal name.
  • Degree verification: Third parties are unable to verify a student’s degree via the National Student Clearinghouse using the chosen name printed on a diploma. Only the legal name is used when reporting required enrollment and degree information.
  • Students planning to live or work abroad: The University of the Arts considers the diploma to be a ceremonial document. Some countries may require the diploma in conjunction with the official transcript for various legal, immigration, and employment purposes. Choosing to print the chosen name on the diploma may result in unforeseen complications due to the discrepancy between the diploma and other documents (e.g., transcripts, passport, birth certificates, etc.) that contain the legal name. 
  • Replacement diploma: Students who have their diploma issued with their chosen name may request a replacement diploma  bearing their legal name for a fee.

Add, change or remove a chosen name

Updates to a chosen name appear in self-service immediately. They typically appear in Canvas within 4 hours. New network credentials, email alias, and ID cards are typically processed within 5-10 business days. After a request has been submitted a series of email alerts will be sent with instructions as offices process the request.

  1. Log in to Student Self Service
  2. Click User Profile from the menu that appears when clicking your user name at the top.
  3. Click Edit Personal Identity.
  4. Enter a chosen first, middle and/or last name then click Save. Do not enter legal names. Leave fields blank if you want your legal name on file to remain. For example, if you are declaring a chosen first name but want to maintain your legal last name you should leave the last name field blank.

Disclaimer: This policy does not form a contract of any kind and may be modified, changed, altered, or rescinded at the discretion of the University. The University reserves the right to deny or remove any chosen name for misuse, including but not limited to misrepresentation or attempting to avoid legal obligation, with or without notice.

Policy: Chosen Name Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar  Policy Last Revised: June 2021

Directory Information

Under FERPA, directory information may be disclosed without student consent. Directory information is data contained in an education record that would not generally be harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The University does not release student lists to third parties.

The following is considered to be directory information:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • E-mail address
  • Employment related to student status (e.g., teaching assistant, resident assistant or work-study) and dates for positions held
  • Academic Program
  • Dates of attendance
  • Current enrollment status
  • Last institution attended
  • Participation in officially recognized activities
  • Receipt or non-receipt of a degree
  • Academic awards received
  • Academic honors 
  • Academic standing
  • Photos or videos taken or maintained by the University

Non-disclosure Request

Under the provisions of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, currently enrolled students have the right to withhold disclosure of their directory information. Non-disclosure requests remain in effect until the student submits signed consent to rescind the non-disclosure or until the student has deceased.

Disclosure of personally identifiable information, such as the student’s name and email address, as required by the instructor and classroom setting for purposes of conducting the class and class activities is permissible under FERPA. Students with active non-disclosure requests on file will continue to appear in the learning management systems.

Important considerations regarding non-disclosure requests

  • All directory information requests will be denied; the university response will be “we have no information about this person.”
  • Enrollment and degree confirmation requests will be denied, including from prospective employers; the university response Will be “we have no information about this person.”
  • Students will not be contacted if a directory information request is received by a third party. A Consent to Release Education Records request can be submitted to authorize a third party or organization access to education records.
  • Student name will not be included in the Commencement program and any other publication.
  • Student email address will be excluded from the directory. Students, faculty, and staff will not see your email address in the Google Apps directory unless they have added you as a contact or previously communicated with you.

To submit a non-disclosure request

A signed petition from the student is required to process this request.

Consent to Release Education Records

FERPA consent to release enables a student to grant permission for a parent or third party to access their education records.

Students may release one of more of the following education records:

  • Academic
  • Educational Accessibility & Disability Accommodations
  • Residential Life
  • Student Billing & Financial Aid
  • Student Conduct

Students releasing student conduct or Title IX records may restrict the release of records to only those pertaining to a specific incident.

Students with active FERPA Consent to Release forms on file will see a notification in Student Self-Service.

Faculty and Staff with access to student records in the Student Self-Service advising module will see a notification after accessing a student’s record. It is imperative, prior to discussing any student information with a third party, that faculty/staff verify what records have been shared and to whom. This information can be located on the FERPA Consent to Release form in OnBase (for users with access to OnBase) or by contacting the Office of the Registrar at 215.717.6420 or via email at registrar@uarts.edu.

The Following Policies Apply

  • A release can be requested for a maximum of one calendar year. After consent has expired, additional requests may be submitted.
  • Students may revoke third party access to education records at any time.
  • Authorized third parties are not permitted to update or request changes to education records.
  • To protect student privacy, when communicating with authorized third parties the University requires the third party to either present valid identification (in person) or provide a PIN number (via telephone). PIN numbers are included in the confirmation email sent to the student and authorized third parties after the FERPA Consent to Release form is processed by the Office of the Registrar.
  • Authorized third parties may communicate with the University via email only from the email address provided by the student in the release.
  • The University reserves the right not to disclose information to third parties at their discretion.

To Grant Consent to Education Records

  1. Students may access the FERPA Consent to Release form from the Forms & Requests page in the portal.
  2. Select the Authorize Access to Protected Education Records request type, complete, and submit the form.
  3. Following submission of the form an email will be sent to the student’s University email account. Complete the two step verification process by following the link in the email and entering the provided PIN.
  4. An email confirmation will be sent to you and included third parties after the Office of the Registrar processes your request. The email confirmation will include the PIN which must be provided by your third party to discuss education records over the telephone.

To Revoke Third Party Access to Education Records

  1. Access the FERPA Consent to Release form from the Forms & Requests page in the portal
  2. Select the Revoke Third Party Access to Education Records  request type, complete, and submit the form
  3. An email confirmation will be sent to the student after the Office of the Registrar processes your request.
Policy: Chosen Name Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar  Policy Last Revised: April 2019

Deceased Student Record Requests

The following requirements protect the confidentiality of education records upon the death of a former student. 

In the event of a student’s passing, the University considers the deceased student’s next-of-kin to be the owner of the record. If there is no living next-of-kin, education records may be requested by the executor of the estate or holder of power of attorney for the deceased. 

Requests for education records must be made in writing and addressed to the Office of the Registrar.

Requests must include:

Student information:

  • Name Include their name while enrolled and any known former names
  • Student ID number if known
  • Student’s date of birth
  • Student’s dates of enrollment
  • Education records being requested Example: transcript
  • Death certificate Copies are preferred

Requestor information:

  • Name
  • Mailing address
  • E-mail address
  • Phone number
  • Documentation of the relationship of the requestor to the deceased Example: Birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.
  • Signature
  • Date of request
  • Requests submitted by the executor of the estate or holder of power of attorney must include a notarized copy of the executor statement or power of attorney.

Send requests to:

Office of the Registrar
University of the Arts
320 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Policy: Deceased Student Record Requests Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar  Policy Last Revised: April 2021


University Issued Email Accounts

For security and privacy reasons faculty and staff can only offer in depth support to student inquiries received from University managed email accounts, only limited and general policy information can be shared with inquiries received from non-University issued email accounts. Students, faculty, and staff are expected to use their University email account for all UArts business. Students are responsible for regularly reading and responding to email sent by the University faculty, staff, and administration.

Email support can be obtained from the University Help Desk, via telephone at 215-717-6677, or by emailing helpdesk@uarts.edu.

Personal Email Accounts

Personal email accounts are typically collected during the admission process and are not required. Once matriculated, all email exchanged between the student and the University must be conducted via University issued email accounts. Students may add, change, or remove the personal email account on file.

Add, Change, or Remove a Personal Email Account

  1. Log in to Student Self-Service
  2. Click User Profile from the menu that appears when clicking your user name at the top.
  3. Click Add New Email Address or if a personal email address is already on file click the edit or delete button.
Policy: Email Requirement Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar  Policy Last Revised: N/A

Enrollment Verification

Enrollment verification provides information regarding a student’s enrollment status (full time/part time), dates of attendance, degrees sought or awarded, and program of study. 

This information may be required by the student’s lender, insurance carriers, sponsor, et cetera to determine eligibility for loan deferment and continuation of in-school benefits. The Office of the Registrar will verify enrollment for future terms only after the student has registered for classes and has been cleared by Student Financial Services.

Student enrollment is transmitted to the National Student Clearinghouse (NSCH) approximately 3-4 weeks before the start of a term, 3-5 days after the first day of a term, one week after the end of the drop/add period, and then once every 30 days. Schedule changes that alter a student’s enrollment status (full time/part time) will be reflected in accordance with this transmission schedule.

To obtain an enrollment verification

Enrollment verification PDFs are provided on demand via the NSCH.

  1. Go to the Forms & Requests page in the UArts Portal.
  2. Click Enrollment Verification from the Students - Electronic Forms section.
  3. Select an enrollment verification type: 
    • Current enrollment: Includes enrollment for the current term only. Available approximately 20 days prior to the start of a term for students.
    • All enrollment: Includes enrollment for all terms. Enrollment data for an upcoming term is available approximately 20 days prior to the start of the term. Current and previous term enrollment is always available.
    • Advanced registration: Advanced registration certificates are available for the fall semester only and can be accessed from late May through early August each year. Advanced registration certificates include coursework for which a student is registered and are provided as a service to students before an official enrollment verification can be generated. Loan servicers, insurance carriers, and other organizations may not accept an advanced registration certificate.
  4. After making your selection, click the link above the buttons to “Obtain an enrollment certificate.”
Policy: Enrollment Verification Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar  Policy Last Revised: N/A

Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)



FERPA Overview

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, sets forth requirements regarding the privacy of student records.

FERPA governs:

  • The disclosure of education records maintained by the University.
  • Access to these records.

Who must Comply?

Any educational institution (school or other entity that provides educational services and is attended by students) or educational agency (entity that administers schools directly linked to it) that receive funds under any program administered by the U.S. Secretary of Education.

The University’s Obligations:

  • Institutions must notify students annually of their FERPA rights.
  • Ensure students’ rights to inspect and review their education records.
  • Ensure students’ rights to request to amend their education records.
  • Ensure students’ rights to limit disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in education records.
  • Notify third parties of the redisclosure prohibition of personally identifiable information (except under a few circumstances).
  • Keep records of requests for and disclosure of student education records.

Who has FERPA rights at the postsecondary level?

  • FERPA rights belong to the student at a postsecondary institution regardless of age.
  • Student applies to all students - including continuing education students, students auditing a class, distance education students, and former students.
  • In attendance, is defined as the day that a student first attends a class at the institution.

What FERPA rights are given to students?

What are education records?

  • Education records are defined as records that are directly related to a student, and maintained by an educational agency or institution, if certain conditions are met.
  • Education records are not: sole possession records, law enforcement unit records, employment records, medical records, or post-attendance records.

Educational records do not include the following:

  • sole possession records, records kept in the sole possession of the maker which are used only as a personal memory aid and are not accessible or reviewed by any other person except a temporary substitute for the maker of the record;
  • medical or psychological treatment records that include those maintained by physicians, psychiatrists, and psychologists;
  • employment records, provided that employment is not contingent upon being a student;
  • law enforcement records; and
  • records collected about an individual after that person is no longer a student at UArts.

To whom, and under what condition, can the university disclose personally identifiable information?

  • Anyone, if the university has obtained the prior written consent of the student.
  • Anyone, in response to requests for directory information (information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed)
  • Authorized representative of the following government entities, if the disclosure is in connection with an audit or evaluation of federal or state supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with federal legal requirements that relate to those programs:
    • Comptroller General of the U.S.
    • Secretary of Education
    • U.S. Attorney General (for law enforcement purposes only)
  • State and local education authorities
  • School official determined by the institution to have legitimate educational interest
  • Agents acting on behalf of the institution (e.g. contractors, consultants)
  • Schools in which the students seeks or intends to enroll (additional conditions exist)
  • A party, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or an employer, providing financial aid to the student (‘financial aid’ does not include any payments made by parents); (additional conditions exist)
  • Organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of educational institutions (additional conditions exist)
  • Accrediting organizations for accreditation purposes
  • Parents when their student (under 21) is found to have violated the alcohol or drug policy of the University.
  • To comply with a judicial order or subpoena, including ex parte orders under the USA Patriot Act
  • Appropriate parties if a health or safety emergency exits and the information will assist in resolving the emergency (additional conditions exist)
  • The student
  • An alleged victim of a crime of violence when the disclosure is the result of a disciplinary hearing regarding the alleged perpetrator of that crime with respect to that crime
  • Anyone requesting the final results of a disciplinary hearing regarding the alleged perpetrator of that crime with respect to that crime
  • Anyone requesting the final results of a disciplinary hearing against an alleged perpetrator who has been found in violation of the campus code relating to a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense
  • The Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs for purpose of complying with a request from ICE relative to the institution’s participation in SEVIS.
  • Military recruiters who request “Student Recruiting Information” for recruiting purposes only (Solomon Amendment). Students recruiting information is name, address, telephone listing, age (or year of birth), class level, major, degrees received, and most recent educational institution of enrollment. (conditions exist)
  • The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), for purposes of complying with the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997.
  • Anyone, when the disclosure concerns information provided by sex offenders required to register under state or federal law.

How does technology impact FERPA guidelines?

The same principles of access and confidentiality must be applied to all media, including but not limited to, electronic data, email, video, and audio.

What happens if a university does not comply with FERPA?

The Department of Education may issue a notice to cease the non-compliance and could ultimately withhold funds administered by the Secretary of Education.

For Additional Information Contact

Family Policy Compliance Office

U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW 
Washington, D.C. 20202-5920
Phone: 1-800-USA-LEARN (1-800-872-5327)
Website: studentprivacy.ed.gov

Inspection & Review of Education Records

The University’s procedures regarding the inspection and review of education records under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) are as follows:

  • All students who are or have been in attendance at the University have the right to inspect and review their education records subject to the limitations and exceptions set forth in FERPA and its related regulations, 20 U.S.C. § 1232g and 34 CFR Part 99.
  • Education records include all information maintained by the University that is directly related to a specific student. For this reason, academic calendars, course syllabi, general announcements, and other materials related generally to the germane academic program or course of study are not subject to FERPA review. Additionally, although students will have access to personal electronic data printed in an appropriate format, the University will not create custom documents, summaries, or reports from such systems or databases.
  • Education records belong to the University and, although students have the right to review and request amendments as set forth below, students are not authorized to photocopy, photograph, or otherwise image or duplicate University records. Students may, however, take personal notes regarding their educational records.
  • A student’s medical records are subject to strict confidentiality except as authorized by applicable law (e.g., HIPAA). Student medical records are not considered to be part of a student’s education records within the meaning of FERPA.
  • Parental statements of financial resources will remain confidential.
  • Personal notes written by a member of the faculty, an adviser, or other University employee concerning a student that are generated and maintained for the exclusive use of the writer are not considered part of the student’s education record under FERPA.
  • Access to education records will be provided within 45 days of having received a request.
  • If, after reviewing their educational records, a student believes that certain records encompassed by the request were not made available for inspection, the student should submit a follow-up request clarifying the additional records the student believes exist.

To Request to Inspect & Review Education Records

  1. Students must provide a signed and dated written consent to the Office of the Registrar  at registrar@uarts.edu
  2. The written consent must include:
    1. the purpose of the review,
    2. the education record(s) being requested for review, and
    3. Identity of the person or person(s) to whom the disclosure may be made.
  3. If a student’s request is unclear or insufficiently specific, the Office of the Registrar will contact the student to assure that the appropriate records will be gathered for the student’s review.
  4. The Office of the Registrar will coordinate with relevant University offices to gather the requested records; will review the records to confirm that they are complete; and redact any FERPA-waived recommendations, information about other students subject to FERPA privacy obligations, or any other information protected from disclosure by FERPA or other applicable law.
  5. The representative will make arrangements with the student to inspect the records.
  6. Photographic identification must be presented prior to inspection & review.

Amendments to Education Records

Students may petition the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write to the Office of the Registrar , clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

If the University denies the amendment request, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of their right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing will be provided to the student when notified of the hearing.

Education Record Amendment Hearings

The University shall provide students, on request, an opportunity for a hearing to challenge the content of the student’s education records on the ground that the information contained in the education records is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the privacy rights of the student.

If, as a result of the hearing, the University determines that the information is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of the student, it shall amend the record accordingly and inform the student of the amendment in writing.

If, as a result of the hearing, the University determines that the information in the education record is not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of the student, it shall inform the student of the right to place a statement in the record commenting on the contested information in the record or stating why they disagree with the decision of the University.

If the University places a statement in the education records of a student, it shall maintain the statement with the contested part of the record for as long as the record is maintained and disclose the statement whenever it discloses the portion of the record to which the statement relates.

Policy: FERPA Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar  Policy Last Revised: N/A

Replacement Diploma

If an original diploma is lost or destroyed, it can be replaced. A diploma can be re-issued with a new legal name. Replacement diplomas are produced using current diploma stock, formatting, and include the signatures of current university officials. Former diploma formats cannot be reproduced. Requests will be processed in 5-10 business days following the receipt of payment. A $50 fee is charged for each replacement diploma.

To request a replacement diploma

  1. Compose a written request, including the following:
    • Name under which you attended the University or any predecessor institutions
    • Current address and telephone number
    • Last date of attendance
    • Major/Degree program
    • Address where diploma is to be sent
    • Signature for release of Diploma 
  2. Scanned or photographed requests can submitted to the Office of the Registrar via email at registrar@uarts.edu
  3. To pay the $50 replacement fee:
    1. Go to uarts.afford.com/paynow
    2. From the drop down menu select University of the Arts
    3. Click Make a One-Time Payment and click continue on the window that loads
    4. Enter you name, student id number, and select a term (any term can be selected)
    5. Enter $50 for the payment amount and click the add button
    6. Click continue and then follow the instructions that follow to make payment.
Policy: Replacement Diploma Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar  Policy Last Revised: May 2021


Students have the option to designate the pronouns they use. If designated, pronouns appear in Student Self Service and the learning management system (Canvas), including class rosters. Pronouns do not appear for students until and unless they are added.

Students may select from the following pronouns:

  • He/Him
  • She/Her
  • They/Them
  • He,They/Him,Them
  • She,They/Her,Them
  • He,She,They/Him,Her,Them
  • Use my name as pronoun
  • Ze/Hir
  • Ze/Zir

To add, change, or remove pronouns

  1. Log in to Student Self Service
  2. Click User Profile from the menu that appears when clicking your user name at the top.
  3. Click Edit Personal IdentityThis section also allows students to add, change or remove a chosen name. Chosen name fields should be left blank unless a chosen name is being declared. Legal names should not be entered into the chosen name fields.
  4. Select pronouns from the list and click Save

Pronoun updates will be immediately visible in Student Self Service. The learning management system (Canvas) will typically reflect the change within 4 hours.

Policy: Personal Pronouns Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar  Policy Last Revised: May 2021

Phone Numbers

Phone Number Types

Students can maintain the following phone types with the University:

  • Permanent: Required.
  • Cellular: Optional. Students whose permanent number is their cellular phone should not also maintain a cellular phone number.

To Add, Change, or remove a permanent phone number

  1. Email registrar@uarts.edu from your University issued email account. 

To Add, Change, or remove a cellular phone number

  1. Log in to Student Self-Service
  2. Click User Profile from the menu that appears when clicking your user name at the top.
  3. Click Add New Phone or if a cellular phone number is already on file click the edit or delete button.

Transcript Requests

The Office of the Registrar produces transcripts for all Graduate and Undergraduate Programs, Continuing Education, Professional Institute for Educators and Non-matriculated Coursework. In order to process a transcript request, the student’s account must be in good financial standing. 

All requests are processed within 1-2 business days and then sent by whichever delivery method is requested.

Official Transcripts

For your convenience and security, all transcript requests must be made online through the National Student Clearinghouse. From this site, students will be able to order transcripts using a variety of services, securely pay for the transcript, and electronically sign the consent release. The ordering process takes about 10 minutes to complete and students will receive emailed updates when your order is fulfilled. 

Transcript services include:

  • Electronic PDF Transcript: This is the fastest and most convenient delivery method. Students are able to request an electronic transcript, save it to their computer and forward it to as many recipients as needed. Please see the Clearinghouse help page on browser support and viewing official PDF transcripts - Adobe Reader may be required to view official PDF transcripts. Students who attended prior to 1994 will not be able to request an electronic transcript.
  • Paper Transcript: Students can request paper transcripts to be mailed by the US Postal Service. Delivery times vary by location.
  • Paper Transcript, UPS Service (Domestic): Once processed, paper transcripts will be sent via UPS and are typically delivered within 1-2 business days, depending on the location of the recipient.
  • Paper Transcript, FedEx Service (International) - Once processed, paper transcripts will be sent via FedEx and are typically delivered within 2-5 business days, depending on the location of the recipient. 

To request an official transcript

Unofficial Transcripts

Current degree-seeking students can view and print their unofficial transcripts through the Self Service Student Planning module. Once logged in, click on the “Student Planning” menu at the top of the page and then select “Unofficial Transcript”. You will be able to download a PDF immediately. 

Unofficial transcripts can also be obtained from the Office of the Registrar. While we do not charge a fee for unofficial transcripts, we do still require a written request with the student’s authorizing signature. 

Policy: Transcript Requests Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar  Policy Last Revised: N/A

Transcripts & Score Reports from External Institutions

Copies of transcripts, score reports, and other documents from external institutions and organizations will not be released to a student. The University of the Arts will not copy transcripts from other institutions.

Policy: Transcripts from External Institutions Policy Administrator: The Office of the Registrar  Policy Last Revised: N/A