Wendy Weinberg, School Director
Introduction to the School
The School of Film provides an interrelated curriculum that combines intensive practical experience with a broad understanding of its programs within historical, theoretical, aesthetic, and cultural contexts. While emphasizing independent creative work that expresses personal vision, we also value collaboration, and our students typically work with majors from disciplines across the University, including music composition, acting, dance, design, photography, and crafts.
The faculty is committed to encouraging students to widen their perspectives, to become flexible and innovative learners, to discover and nurture their unique voices, and to master at least one of the complex art forms that we teach. We ensure that our graduates leave the University with a sophisticated knowledge of their chosen medium and a more profound sense of themselves as artists. With study abroad and internship opportunities, courses in professional practices, and visits from industry experts and independent artists, we prepare our students to successfully enter exciting, yet demanding fields.
- Build a shared culture within the School of Film among students, staff and faculty
- Introduce students to issues, methods, techniques and professional aspects of contemporary film and animation practices
- Acquaint students with the histories and theories of film production and animation
- Apprise students of the various majors and minors available in the School of Film by interacting with students and faculty from across the School
- Impart basic knowledge and skills that can be shared between the various School of Film major and minor paths of study
- Promote essential literacy of animation and film-making principles, processes, methods, and tools while imparting to students a common critical vocabulary for film and animation thinking, making, and discourse
- Promote interaction between students of all School of Film majors and minors and increase cross-disciplinary activity within the school by strengthening skills of collaboration and team-building
ProgramsDegree Programs, UndergraduateMinor Programs, Undergraduate