Jul 09, 2020  
2017-2018 University Catalogue 
2017-2018 University Catalogue [Archived Catalogue]

Grading, Honors & Academic Standing

Academic Concern Noticies   Academic Grievance   Academic Honors   Academic Standing   Accessing Grades   Change of Grade   Final Grade Entry   Grade Point Average Calculation   Grade Replacement   Grading System   Incomplete Grade Request   In-Progress Grade   Required Pass/Fail


Academic Concern Notices

In the event that a student is not performing well in a course, instructors will send an academic concern notice to the student. Academic concern notices can be sent at any point in a semester, and are archived for review by advisors, program directors, the academic dean, and the Advising Center. Once a deficiency notice has been received, a student is strongly encouraged to meet with their instructor and advisor as soon after receiving the deficiency notice as possible.

Unsatisfactory performance may be based on excessive absences; inappropriate or inadequate classroom participation; the quality of work submitted, performed, or created for the class; or the outcome of exams or other assignments given by the instructor either in class or as listed on the syllabus.

Academic Grievance

Students who have a concern or grievance regarding an academic matter, other than actions taken by the Academic Standards Committee, may use the following process to address those concerns. If the concern or grievance is directly related to actions taken by the Academic Standards Committee, please submit a letter of grievance directly to the Office of the Provost.

Grievances must be submitted no later than the end of the seventh week of the semester following the one in which the cause of the grievance occurred. This deadline has been set to allow time for the resolution of incomplete grades from the previous semester in accordance with the policies noted elsewhere in this catalogue. Please also note that grade grievances from students who have graduated must adhere to the guidelines noted at the end of this section.

In the event that the student feels the need for a neutral advocate, the student may request the assistance of any staff member of the University at any stage of the grievance process.

  1. Students who have a concern or grievance regarding an academic matter are encouraged to discuss their concern directly with the instructor.
  2. Students not comfortable presenting their concern in person, or not satisfied with the outcome of the discussion, should submit their grievance in writing to the instructor, and send a copy to the director of the program or school in which the instructor teaches, and the dean of the college or division.
  3. The instructor should respond to the student, in writing, in a timely manner. The director or Dean of Liberal Arts is available for consultation by either the student or the faculty member, and must be copied on the instructor’s response. The director/Dean of Liberal Arts has the right to forward the concern to the Office of the Dean (or the Associate Provost in the case of the Dean of Liberal Arts) should he/she conclude that either the student or instructor’s concerns warrant further review or intervention.
  4. If the student believes that his/her concern requires further attention, he/she may submit the matter in writing to the Office of the Dean of the college in which the course is offered, or to the Office of the Provost in regards to an issue emerging from a liberal arts course.
  5. The College Dean (Associate Provost for Liberal Arts’ cases) should rule on the case in a timely manner. If the College Dean (or Associate Provost) does not wish to rule on the matter, he/she may convene an Academic Grievance Committee to review the concern. The composition of the Academic Grievance Committee is determined by the Dean (Associate Provost in Liberal Arts’ cases).

As a last resort, the Office of the Dean, Associate Provost in Liberal Arts’ cases or the student may forward concerns to the Office of the Provost for final resolution.

Academic Honors

Commencement Honors

Recognition of commencement honors during the May commencement ceremony is based on a student’s cumulative grade point average1 after grades have posted for the preceding fall semester. Students receiving commencement honors will receive honors regalia and be announced during the commencement ceremony.  Graduating students with 33.0 or fewer credits remaining in a baccalaureate degree program and who have achieved the GPA minimums set forth in the Degree Honors policy below, are eligible for commencement honors.

Dean’s List

The Dean’s List recognizes undergraduate students who have achieved academic excellence.  It is compiled after each fall and spring semester.

To be eligible students must have:

  • Been enrolled in an undergraduate degree program;
  • Achieved a minimum semester GPA of 3.601;
  • Completed 12.0 or more credits (excluding audited courses, credit by exam, pass/fail courses, transfer credit, and remedial courses);
  • Received no grades lower than a B;
  • Completed all courses on time, with no incomplete grades.

Degree Honors

Candidates for the baccalaureate degree, who achieve a minimum final cumulative GPA of 3.601 qualify for degree honors and are recognized by the distinction “with honors” recorded on their diploma. 

Candidates for the baccalaureate degree, who complete the University Honors Program, which requires students to maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.751, qualify for degree honors. This achievement is recognized by designation “University Honors Scholar” recorded on the diploma and completion of the University Honors Program recorded on the transcript. 

Degree honors is recorded on the academic transcript after a degree has been been conferred.

1Cumulative GPA is calculated to the hundredths place and is never rounded.

Academic Standing

A student’s academic standing is determined at the end of the fall and spring semesters on the basis of attempted semester credits and cumulative grade point average.

Academic Good Standing

To maintain academic good standing, students must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 for undergraduates and 3.0 for graduate students. Undergraduate students in degree programs in the College of Art, Media, and Design must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.33 in their major program.

Academic Probation

Academic probation is a serious matter. To clear academic probation the student must achieve academic good standing. Students who do not clear academic probation by the end of the following semester (fall or spring) of enrollment will be subject to dismissal by the University. Students should meet with an Advisor to understand their academic status and discuss their plan to return to academic good standing.

While on academic probation, students must be enrolled in a normal full time course load of 12-18 credits, unless otherwise required. Students are not permitted to participate in University recognized student organizations. Programmatic restrictions may be placed on the student. Students should reduce the number of hours of employment whenever possible and limit participation in any other extracurricular activities that interfere with their academic performance.

Students on academic probation may also be on financial aid probation. Questions can be directed to Student Financial Services. More information is located in the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

Academic Terminal Probation

A dismissed student reinstated by the Academic Standards Committee will be placed on terminal probation. The student must return to academic good standing by the conclusion of the term for which they are reinstated. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from the University without the opportunity for appeal. Dismissed students may apply for readmission, see readmission policy for additional information.

Academic Dismissal

A student on either probation or terminal probation who remains on probation at the end of the following semester, will be dismissed from the University. The Registrar sends notifications of academic dismissal within 4 weeks of final grades being posted for the fall and spring terms. Notifications are sent via email and by post. Dismissed students may apply for readmission, see readmission policy for additional information.

Academic Dismissal Appeals

An academically dismissed student may petition the Academic Standards Committee for reinstatement. To appeal for reinstatement a petition should be submitted to the Academic Standards Committee by the date listed in the dismissal letter. The Academic Standards Committee is comprised of the Registrar, Associate Registrar, Dean of Students, and the Associate Deans of each of the Colleges and Divisions. Decisions will be conferred by the committee to the student within six weeks of receipt of the petition for appeal.

The petition must include the following:

  • An explanation of the poor academic performance that led to the dismissal.
  • An explanation of whether the student worked with their academic advisor, sought tutoring assistance, or accessed other support services to address academic performance.
  • Documentation concerning any mitigating circumstances that may have contributed to poor academic performance.
  • A plan for preventing recurrence of these academic difficulties and to achieve academic good standing.
  • Letters of support from the academic advisor, professors, or other support staff (optional).

Thoughtfully composed appeals should be submitted via email to registrar@uarts.edu, with the subject Academic Dismissal Appeal, by the submission deadline included on the dismissal letter, and from the student’s University email account. Students will be contacted by the Office of the Registrar via email to schedule a hearing with the Academic Standards Committee.

Students appealing for reinstatement are encouraged to meet with the Committee to discuss their petition. The Committee shall render a decision based solely on the petition for appeal submitted by the student in instances where a student declines a hearing or is not present during their scheduled hearing.

Questions should be directed to the Office of the Registrar at registrar@uarts.edu.

Accesing Grades

Current students can access grades using the student planning module in Student Self-Service. Grades are listed on the progress page; the timeline tab, found on the plan & schedule page; and on the unofficial transcript page. Former students can request a transcript from the Office of the Registrar.

Change of Grade

A request for a change of grade is a form of an academic grievance. A student may request assistance from any staff member at the University during any stage of the grievance process.

Students seeking a change of grade must submit a written request for a change of grade to the instructor no later than the end of the seventh week of the semester following the one in which the grade was given. Change of grade requests for graduating students must be submitted within three days of the senior grading deadline.

Change of grade requests will only be processed if an error occurred in computing or recording the final grade, or if reevaluation of previously submitted work is warranted. Extra work, beyond that required of other class members during the period when the class met, or work handed in after the completion of the course, may not be offered as reasons for a grade change.

Any change of a final grade should be made by the course instructor, who should submit the Change of Grade form electronically to the Office of the Registrar from the Portal, or via OnBase if available, no later than the end of the semester following the one in which the grade was given.

Degree Honors

Candidates for the baccalaureate degree may graduate with honors if they achieve a minimum of a 3.6 cumulative GPA.

Final Grade Entry

The following policies apply to final grade entry:

  • Faculty will enter grades at the conclusion of each term in accordance with deadlines published in the academic calendar. 
  • Grades must be entered for all students on a roster. If a student did not attend or complete the course, an F grade should be assigned.

To enter final grades for a course section:

  1. Access Student Self-Service.
  2. Click Faculty.
  3. Click the course section to be graded.
  4. Click the Grading tab.
  5. Click the Final Grade sub-tab.
  6. Record grades for one or more students by selecting the grade(s) then clicking Post Grades. 

Note: Once grades have been posted they are immediately visible to students. Any students for whom you have not posted grades will still be available for you to grade online. If an incorrect grade is entered for a student it can be corrected by submitting a change of grade form. Grading related questions can be directed to the Office of the Registrar registrar@uarts.edu or 215.717.6420.

Grade Point Average Calculation

The GPA is computed by multiplying the number of credits earned for a course by the numerical value of the grade. The resulting figures from all courses for that semester are then totaled, and this figure is divided by the total number of credits attempted that semester. The grades of I, IP, NC, W, OP, OF, P, and AU are not entered in this computation.

Grade Replacment

Undergraduate and graduate students may repeat a course to earn a higher grade; only the grade earned from the most recent attempt will be used in calculating the grade point average.

Once a grade replacement is applied, the grade and the credit hours earned on the initial course attempt(s) will be removed from the calculation of the cumulative grade point average and from the calculation of the total hours attempted and, when applicable, hours completed. The course title and grade for all previous attempts will appear on transcripts with a notation to indicate the grade was excluded from the computation of the cumulative grade point average. Use of a grade replacement does not retroactively change the status of the student’s semester academic honors or result in a refund of tuition or fees.

Student who fail a required course are strongly advised to repeat the same course during the next term in which it is offered.

Students may repeat courses for grade replacement according to the following set criteria. If any these conditions are not met, the general policy governing repeated courses applies.

The following policies apply to courses repeated for grade replacement:

  • Only courses designated as not repeatable for credit may be repeated for grade replacement.
  • Variable credit courses must be taken for the same number of credit hours as the original attempt when repeated for grade replacement.
  • All occurrences of a course where a grade is earned, including withdrawals (W), appear on the transcript, but only the grade earned for the most recent attempt is used in calculating the grade point average.
  • Credit is awarded only once for a course, repeats can affect academic progress, standing, and financial aid status.
  • Grade replacement cannot be applied to courses in which the student was found to be in violation of the academic integrity policy.
  • Grade replacement cannot be invoked after a degree has been conferred upon the student.

Financial Aid Considerations

In some instances, repeating courses could affect financial aid or other assistance. It is the responsibility of the student to meet with their financial aid counselor to discuss how repeating a course may impact their eligibility for financial aid.

To repeat a course for grade replacement:

First repeat attempt (original grade F)

  1. Register for the course online or in person for automatic invocation of grade replacement.

First repeat attempt (original grade D or higher), courses completed prior to Fall 2010, and all future attempts

  1. Obtain permission to retake the course for grade replacement from the student’s program director.
  2. The program director must submit an Exceptions and Overrides form in OnBase with the Grade Replacement option selected.

Grading System

A 4.00   B- 2.67   D+ 1.33
A- 3.67   C+ 2.33   D 1.00
B+ 3.33   C 2.00   F 0.00
B 3.00   C- 1.67      

Grades excluded from GPA calculations

AU Audit
I Incomplete
IP In Progress (Graduate thesis only)
NC No Credit
OP Optional Pass (Grade of C or better)
OF Optional Fail (Grade less than C)
P Pass
T Transfer Credit
W Withdrawal
X Credit by Examination
Z Preliminary


Incomplete Grade Request

An incomplete grade may be granted only in extraordinary circumstances, either personal or academic, that prevent the student from completing coursework by the end of the semester. An incomplete grade is given only when the completed portion of the student’s coursework is of a passing quality. To receive the grade of incomplete, the student must obtain approval on the incomplete form from the course instructor, program director, the dean of the student’s college, and the Dean of Liberal Arts (for a Liberal Arts course) prior to the conclusion of the semester. Students should review policies regarding the impact of incomplete grades on academic censure located on the academic standards page.

The following policies apply to students requesting an incomplete:

  • The completed portion of a student’s coursework must be of passing quality.
  • Incomplete grades not cleared by the end of the sixth week of the following semester will be automatically assigned the grade of “F.”
  • Completed forms must be received by the Office of the Registrar by the last day of the semester during which the course ran.

To request an incomplete grade for a course:

  1. Download the Incomplete Grade Request form from the Office of the Registrar’s website.
  2. Complete the request in cooperation with the course instructor.
  3. Obtain approvals from the course instructor, student’s program director, student’s home college dean, and the dean of liberal arts for liberal arts courses.
  4. Return the completed form to the Office of the Registrar. Completed forms must be received no later than the last day of the semester the student is enrolled in the course.

In-Progress Grade

An in-progress grade (IP) indicates that a student is making satisfactory progress toward completion their graduate thesis, project, or capstone. This grade will apply only to graduate thesis courses where the student’s thesis is still in progress.

The IP grade is available for the following courses only:

An IP grade acknowledges the fact that the final course product may require additional time after the conclusion of a semester to complete. The IP grade will remain on the student’s record until a final thesis grade is submitted by the instructor. In some cases, a student will be registered for thesis courses as a sequence (e.g., MSEM 781). When the final grade is submitted by the instructor, it will replace the IP grade. The IP grade is not computed in the grade point average.

To remain in good standing while the thesis, project, or capstone is “in-progress,” students must adhere to the Continuous Enrollment Requirement for Graduate Students  during each mandatory terms of enrollment  not enrolled in coursework.

Required Pass/Fail

Certain courses are offered at the University that are evaluated pass (P) or fail (F) only. This information is included in the course descriptions published in the course catalogue.

The following policies apply to pass/fail only courses:

  • Students are evaluated using grades of pass (P) or fail (F).
  • A pass (P) grade does not impact a student’s GPA, while a fail (F) is recorded as 0.00 and will negatively impact a student’s GPA.